I know many people will pass this article up because they will think how in this day in age, can someone still not know how to do it. Yet, this is one of my most frequently asked questions! You are NOT alone!
In Windows 10 once you are logged in. Hold down the keys on your keyboard labeled Ctrl and then Alt and then Delete. That will bring you to this screen-Select Change Password.
This is also where you should go if you are getting up from your desk and need to lock your computer so no one else can get into your system!!!!! It’s a very important security measure!
Next selecting Change a Password will bring up this screen:
Make sure your password is complex!!!!! Some complexity rules to follow are:
1. The longer the better! At a minimum make it 8 characters, however, it SHOULD be longer!
You need to change your password in Windows 10. How do you do that? Simply hit the keys on your keyboard: Control-Alt-Delete and this screen will come up. See the 4th choice down “Change a Password” this will change the Windows 10/Network Password.
Your password should be at least 8 characters, a capital letter, a small letter, a number and a symbol.
After you change your password eventually you will need to change your Office365 password. Outlook will stop sending and receiving email. The best way to be able to tell this is by the photo below.
If this happens, go up to the top ribbon bar and select the Send and Receive tab. You should see this symbol, where it says: Type Exchange Password and Connect.
When you click on this icon it should bring up this screen.
Type in your new password and make sure to click Remember my credentials otherwise it will ask you this about every 5 minutes. Annoying!
Remember if you have PipeLiner on your computer you will need to update your Pipeliner password as well. Here is a link on how to do that in case you have forgotten.
You have exactly 1 day to upgrade your computer to Windows 10 for free!!!!!
What are the reasons you should upgrade your computer to Windows 10?
- It’s FREE!!!!!!
- If you have Windows 8 kiss the Start Screen only bye bye! You will get the Start Menu back AND the Start Screen!
- Cortana- Windows Virtual Assistant. She is Microsoft’s answer to Apple’s Siri and Google’s Okay Google.
- Direct X 12- If you are a gamer then you already know!
- Support for Windows 7 will be ending in January 2018
- Windows Updates for Windows 7 and 8 will only go until 2020 (which seems far away but in reality is only 4 years away!)
- You can have multiple desktops!
- The Windows App Store
How do you upgrade to Windows 10–Here’s a great link
Someone in our office brought up a very good point recently, what is the proper business etiquette for Skype or for chatting in general? So, I decided to do some research on this.
1. Ask the person first to make sure they are available. Look at the icon next to their name, and see what color it is. They could be busy or away from their desk. They may also be in a meeting and sharing their screen on a television. Keep that in mind before you say something that could get you in trouble!
2. If it’s a video chat, ask for permission first. Not everyone likes video chats.
3. If you are doing a video chat, be aware of your body language and your personal grooming. (ex: below)
4. Give that person your undivided attention. Do not read other emails, or surf the internet. It is also best to only hold one chat at a time as it is very easy to get confused to whom you are talking to.
5. Be aware of what the camera will be showing in the background of your video chat. Remove anything distracting or inappropriate! (ex: below)
6. Make sure your desk is clean if the camera is showing it.
7. Make sure you end the chat, just don’t click the X and escape. Make sure you tell the other person, you need to go and tell them bye. The same on the phone, for some reason many people think you can just hang up and it leaves the person wondering….”Were we done?”
You can share your notes on a project or document with One Note, so long as it is saved in your One Drive! To save a note to your One Drive, open up One Note. You can create a new notebook and it will ask you where you would like to create it.
Select New>OneDrive Then it will bring a window up wanting to know what you want to name it. Name it and then click create.
After you’ve created the new notebook, it will prompt you to Invite People. Select Invite People.
This following screen will come up and ask you to type names or email addresses to share it with. Type all email addresses, then the box right after that allows you to assign different permissions. Here I have allowed “Can Edit” on it. Then select the Share button.
Then it sends an email to the users you shared it with and they can open it and work on it at the same time you are!!! It’s pretty awesome!!!
Ironically late due to technical difficulties! LOL! The new mirroring software I was using needed some tweaking!