Have you ever put a work receipt in a “safe place” and then forgot where that “safe place” was? Been there, done that! Microsoft OneNote allows you to keep track of your receipts. The best way to do this is within Office365 this way your phone syncs with your online OneNote!
I will be showing you how to do this with an iPhone today. It works even better with a Windows Phone, but it’s pretty spiffy on the iPhone as well!
The best place to start is OneNote in Office365 on your computer. You’ll need to create a new section in an existing notebook or create a new notebook and make sure it is syncing to your OneDrive. Open up OneNote on your computer it looks like this:
To create a new notebook you can find instructions here, which includes instructions on how to hook it up to your OneDrive.
To create a new tabbed section in an existing notebook, simply click on the + sign on one of the tabs. It will open a new tab and you will be able to name it. I named my Receipts.
So now you will want to make sure it syncs up with your OneNote on your OneDrive. This way you will be able to access it on your phone using your Office365 account. Go to the name of your notebook, and right click on it. These options will show up. Click on Sync This Notebook Now. If you are unsure if this is syncing to your OneDrive, select Notebook Sync Status.
When you open Notebook Sync Status, you have the option to Sync automatically whenever there are changes ( I recommend this one), or you can sync it manually.
If don’t see your notebook in here you can add it. Exit out of this screen and go back to the notebook. Right click on the notebook, and bring up the menu, and select properties which is highlighted in pink here.
When you open up the properties of the notebook this screen will pop up. Where it says Change Location, if it isn’t set up to your OneDrive, select Change Location and find your OneDrive on your system, and have it save there and then it will sync up for you. It will then be accessible by your phone.
It should then show up in your list of notebooks to sync and you should set it to automatically sync when there are changes.
After you have the receipts tab set up and your notebook syncing with your OneDrive you can now go to your phone. This works with iPhones, Windows and Android phones. I’ll be showing you on an iPhone. Open up OneNote on your phone. It will probably ask you to sign in. Make sure you sign in with the account that is syncing with your OneNote/OneDrive on your computer.
When you open up OneNote on your phone make sure you are in the Notebook you created the Receipts Tab. Click on the Receipts tab.
Click on the + button and it will give you options on what you can do, one option is to take a picture. Select the camera icon and take a picture of your receipt. Once you have a nice clean picture of your receipt, select the ellipse at the top right hand corner.
It will bring up some options. Select Sync Now.
Now open OneNote on your computer and make sure it is synced up. There should now be a receipt in your Receipts notebook!
One amusing question, do you see what the arrow is pointing at on the receipt? Why do I need a Bathroom Code??? Should I be afraid?
Do you need to turn this into Accounting? Easy Peasy! Click on the email this page icon.
This will bring up Outlook and you can email it to your Accounting Department! Now you have one place to keep all your receipts!
You need to change your password in Windows 10. How do you do that? Simply hit the keys on your keyboard: Control-Alt-Delete and this screen will come up. See the 4th choice down “Change a Password” this will change the Windows 10/Network Password.
Your password should be at least 8 characters, a capital letter, a small letter, a number and a symbol.
After you change your password eventually you will need to change your Office365 password. Outlook will stop sending and receiving email. The best way to be able to tell this is by the photo below.
If this happens, go up to the top ribbon bar and select the Send and Receive tab. You should see this symbol, where it says: Type Exchange Password and Connect.
When you click on this icon it should bring up this screen.
Type in your new password and make sure to click Remember my credentials otherwise it will ask you this about every 5 minutes. Annoying!
Remember if you have PipeLiner on your computer you will need to update your Pipeliner password as well. Here is a link on how to do that in case you have forgotten.
You have exactly 1 day to upgrade your computer to Windows 10 for free!!!!!
What are the reasons you should upgrade your computer to Windows 10?
- It’s FREE!!!!!!
- If you have Windows 8 kiss the Start Screen only bye bye! You will get the Start Menu back AND the Start Screen!
- Cortana- Windows Virtual Assistant. She is Microsoft’s answer to Apple’s Siri and Google’s Okay Google.
- Direct X 12- If you are a gamer then you already know!
- Support for Windows 7 will be ending in January 2018
- Windows Updates for Windows 7 and 8 will only go until 2020 (which seems far away but in reality is only 4 years away!)
- You can have multiple desktops!
- The Windows App Store
How do you upgrade to Windows 10–Here’s a great link
Someone in our office brought up a very good point recently, what is the proper business etiquette for Skype or for chatting in general? So, I decided to do some research on this.
1. Ask the person first to make sure they are available. Look at the icon next to their name, and see what color it is. They could be busy or away from their desk. They may also be in a meeting and sharing their screen on a television. Keep that in mind before you say something that could get you in trouble!
2. If it’s a video chat, ask for permission first. Not everyone likes video chats.
3. If you are doing a video chat, be aware of your body language and your personal grooming. (ex: below)
4. Give that person your undivided attention. Do not read other emails, or surf the internet. It is also best to only hold one chat at a time as it is very easy to get confused to whom you are talking to.
5. Be aware of what the camera will be showing in the background of your video chat. Remove anything distracting or inappropriate! (ex: below)
6. Make sure your desk is clean if the camera is showing it.
7. Make sure you end the chat, just don’t click the X and escape. Make sure you tell the other person, you need to go and tell them bye. The same on the phone, for some reason many people think you can just hang up and it leaves the person wondering….”Were we done?”
You can share your notes on a project or document with One Note, so long as it is saved in your One Drive! To save a note to your One Drive, open up One Note. You can create a new notebook and it will ask you where you would like to create it.
Select New>OneDrive Then it will bring a window up wanting to know what you want to name it. Name it and then click create.
After you’ve created the new notebook, it will prompt you to Invite People. Select Invite People.
This following screen will come up and ask you to type names or email addresses to share it with. Type all email addresses, then the box right after that allows you to assign different permissions. Here I have allowed “Can Edit” on it. Then select the Share button.
Then it sends an email to the users you shared it with and they can open it and work on it at the same time you are!!! It’s pretty awesome!!!
Ironically late due to technical difficulties! LOL! The new mirroring software I was using needed some tweaking!
Now you want to sync your OneNote with OneDrive so that you have access to this info anywhere you go! Open up One Note and click on the File Tab:
When you switch to the File Tab Menu, it will look like this:
Click on Settings, there is a drop down menu and Sync with the green circle and arrows. Select that button. It will sync up with your One Drive once that is set up. To set that up, 365Ninja Blog has excellent instructions accompanied by a video that you can find here: